• Denomination: Omerge Mosque (St. Mary of the Augustinians)

  • District: Nicosia

  • Town/Village: Nicosia

  • Category: Church

  • Religion: Christian

  • A.Monument: Yes

  • Ref#: 19

Description (Typology, Period, Actual Use)

Old Augustinian monastic church turned into mosque (Ímerge) in 1571. Built in 14th century. One-aisled church roofed with ribbed vaults. It consists of three bays ending in three sided apse and a chapel added to the north side. Facade porch with tridle arcade. Original roof had collapsed and was rebuilt as with wood. Currently it is used as a mosque (Ímerge). Gothic decoration and addition of minaret was done during the Ottoman Period. The facade and the environments have recently been restored by Partnership For Future, a programme funded by the European Union.

General Conditions

Structure: Very Good

Facade: Very Good

Roof: Very Good

Interior: Very Good

Decoration: Good

Mass: Preserved

Humidity: Existing Mark

Comments:

Building Materials

Technical Details/Materials Used

Walls: Stone

Roof: Wood & Wood. Beams are supported on arches.

Floors: Marble

Doors: Wood

Windows: Wood; original stone traceces, rose windows

Interior

Icons: No

Hagiography: Yes

Michrap: Yes

Small Signs: Yes

Architect Plans

Architect Plans: Yes

Cadastral Elements: Not Available

Proposed Protection Measures

Continuing maintenance and monitoring of Humidity.