• Denomination: Panagia Chrysospelaiotissa

  • District: Famagusta

  • Town/Village: Famagusta

  • Category: Church

  • Religion: Christian

  • A.Monument: Yes

  • Ref#: 25

Description (Typology, Period, Actual Use)

Church converted to mosque, built between 1955 and 1960 above ancient church curved out of a rock. The old subterranean church was built probably in the medieval time and is mentioned as "St.Maria Della Cava" by latin pilgrims. It probably originally served as a Hermitage or Pagan Tomb. Its frescoes are no longer visible. The newer church is solidly built of cut stone.

General Conditions

Structure: Very Good

Facade: Very Good

Roof: Very Good

Interior: Very Good

Decoration: Very Good

Mass: Preserved

Humidity: Non Existing

Comments:

Building Materials

Technical Details/Materials Used

Walls: Cut Stone

Roof: Dome/Vaults

Floors: mosaic

Doors: Wood

Windows: Steel/Wood

Interior

Icons: Not Available

Hagiography: Not Available

Michrap: Yes

Small Signs: Yes

Architect Plans

Architect Plans: No

Cadastral Elements: Not Available

Proposed Protection Measures

The cave church has been plastered with cement in various places and needs to be protected from the elements as it has no windows.